Sunday, December 24, 2023

A Few of My Favorite Things

“What’s your favorite blog post that you did?” is actually a question I get fairly often. At almost 700 entries and 13 years in, it can be hard to remember them all, much less pick a favorite. Yet, I tried this month to pick some of the ones that I feel turned out pretty well or that I particularly enjoyed doing. Browse through them as you wait out the winter (and for this song to get out of your head).



The order in which I list these does not imply that the first is my favorite, but I was pretty happy with the post that included the Landscape pyramid – a visual for considering the magnitude of different plant categories. There are a number of posts that feature an assist from my husband with a graphic design that helps to illustrate my point and this was probably the first one.


Cues of Care – this is a post inspired by an article that I read by a wonderful Georgia conservation champion and I wanted to amplify and preserve the concept.

Cottage Garden – I helped with a friend’s project and created suggestions for others that want this look.

The Pollinator Gardening series is a collection of 3: post one, post two (with downloadable plant charts), and post three). As you can imagine, I put a lot into this 3-part series.

I Can’t Believe It’s Not the Native – this post highlights confusing similar plants that are exotic, featuring another great graphic by James.


Plants for Native Bees (plus this one) features a chart by James that is a counter to a graphic circulating on social media about plants for bees (their chart had mostly non-native plants to support honey bees).

Native Fruits – for those looking to have native fruit-bearing plants (at 45K views, this is my most-viewed post of all time, in case you wondered) plus a follow up post in 2023.

Native Plants in Containers – I like to encourage people with small yards to use native plants in containers.

Easing Into Using Native Plants – I try to include plenty of beginner topics to make the concept less intimidating; this is a post with ideas for getting starting with native plants in the landscape.

And the seasonally appropriate Christmas in Dixie.


I'm sure I forgot some really great ones; I've enjoyed hearing from some of you over the years when a particular post really spoke to you. If I ever do a compilation in book form, it's going to be really hard to choose just a few.

There are definitely some categories of blog entries over the years. I have done many individual plant profiles (like my very first one about mapleleaf viburnum) but there are also some plant groups (like evergreens). I have also done categories like these listed below (these links go to search results, read more about searching this blog here):

Native plants and birds

Native plants and pollinators

Native plants and fall color

Native Shrubs

Georgia State Parks

Book reviews

Posts on identification like winter twigs and leaves and how vines work (just to name a few)

Special Plants, Special Places

Landscape Spotlight

Gift Ideas for Naturalists

Appreciating Native Plants on Roadsides


No comments:

Post a Comment