Sunday, January 1, 2023

2022 in Pictures

I take a lot of pictures throughout the year and not all of them make it into a blog post. At the end of the calendar year, it’s a good time to reflect on the beauty of nature as well as share some of the extra pictures.



I believe that each day is an opportunity to find and appreciate something beautiful in the native plants and creatures of Georgia.




















We had a little snow in January. My grandson and I had hung these ornaments on an Eastern redcedar (Juniperus virginiana) near the driveway and this made for a nice photo. The snow was light and didn't last long, just how I like it. By February, blooms were already starting including this early sedge (Carex sp). This pollen on the male flowers may support early insects.




















March is a huge month for blooms but these are two of my favorite photos from that month. I've been delighted with the deer resistance of our native pachysandra (Pachysandra procumbens) and the blooms are a real treat. This Piedmont azalea (Rhododendron canescens) was especially beautiful at Bert Adams Scout Camp in Covington where I was helping with ideas for native plantings.




















In April, I released a few overwintered butterflies as they eclosed. This is a female Black swallowtail, held by my grandson before releasing. This orange azalea (likely a natural hybrid between a Piedmont and R. flammeum) fooled my husband several times into thinking the dwarf palm behind it was blooming.




















We took a trip to Ohio in May and it was during cottonwood (Populus deltoides) season so the fluff was really flying. This plant's natural range does include Georgia, but I've not seen it here. In June, I spotted this bee checking out old holes on my mailbox. This is the giant resin bee, a non-native bee that was first discovered in North Carolina in 1994. Learn more about it and how it impacts native bees here.



July and August brought some critters. After a disappointing year for butterflies, I found this question mark butterfly flitting through the woods in July (they like to take nourishment from tree sap and other non-floral sources so the woods is a good place for it).  In August I finally found a spring peeper frog; I had been hearing them but this was the first time I've seen one in my yard. 




















A new plant for me bloomed in September: halberd-leaf hibiscus (Hibiscus laevis). I had purchased it at one the GNPS chapter plant sales in the spring. I spotted a gorgeous stand of poison ivy (Toxicodendron radicans) on pine tree near me in October.

Vaccinium reticulatum
Osteomeles anthyllidifolia




















In November, we celebrated my retirement with a trip to the Big Island of Hawai'i. We chose that island for its natural beauty and the chance to see volcanoes. While I was there, I bought a native plant reference to help me identify the plants. The two plants I'm showing have Georgia relatives: on the left is a blueberry relative: Vaccinium reticulatum. It was quite abundant on the moist side of the island, including being found in the middle of old lava flows. Its Hawaiian name is ʻōhelo ʻai. On the right is a member of the rose family: Osteomeles anthyllidifolia; it looks rather like a hawthorn and some plants had a dull fruit. Its Hawaiian name is u‘ulei.

Red-headed woodpecker


To close out the year, I was excited this week to have a rather uncommon bird (for me) visit my suet feeder several times: red-headed woodpecker. I see red-bellied woodpeckers often but this one rarely despite it being a year-round Georgia resident.

Wishing you a good year in 2023 and more native plants and critters in your daily life.






No comments:

Post a Comment