Sunday, December 25, 2022

December 2022 Moment in Nature

As I drove around running holiday errands this week I spotted an unmowed roadside with goldenrod seedheads (Solidago altissima). As you can probably tell, they look very much like fluffy, white Christmas trees. I knew immediately this would be my #momentinnature for December which falls on Christmas Day itself this year.


There was another reason I was happy to see this roadside decoration. These plants, spared from the seemingly endless human need to tidy up the great outdoors, represent food for the birds. The birds will feast on the seedheads as well as any tiny insects hiding within the stems and leaves of the plants.

As you consider how your landscape might support more than just humans, leave your standing vegetation as much as possible to feed the winter birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment