Sunday, July 19, 2026

July 2026 Moment in Nature

The baby season continues and this week I found two very special babies. First I found the juvenile form of the red-spotted salamander, known as the red elf form. I found it near my pots next to the house in the back. I gently picked it up and put it in one of the pots further from the house and that is where this photo was taken. It eventually moved out of the pot to a more secure location. I have found black salamanders already here which is consistent with our moist woodland habitat.

Red elf form of red-spotted salamander

Also near the house I found a juvenile writing spider (Argiope aurantia), a species that I have not seen since I started tracking invasive Jorō spiders in 2020. I am so excited that I feel like catching flies for her so she'll thrive!

Juvenile writing spider (Argiope aurantia)

I am so thrilled to find and document good species of wildlife that illustrate how important habitat can be. Get out there and find your good stuff and make a #momentinnature.

No comments:

Post a Comment