Sunday, February 4, 2024

Fickle February

 

Snow in 2016

I find that February is the least predictable month in metro Atlanta. We could have snow as we did in 2020, 2016, and 2014; it might be rainy; or it could be quite nice – as I write this on Feb 2, the groundhog in Georgia has predicted an early spring and the temperature is a pleasant 66 degrees. I walked around outside, looking for signs of spring but there were few in my yard (only one trout lily leaf). Mostly I just saw what the deer have wrought over the last month or so: Christmas ferns munched to nubs, several saplings with broken branches and deer rub, and telltale piles of scat.

My friends (even in metro Atlanta) are reporting early trillium foliage so I’m sure mine will be up soon. If you’re looking for ideas to add early native spring perennials to your landscape, I have some suggestions here.

If you’d like to venture out to see early native perennials, consider a trip to The Pocket in NW Georgia (where plants can be surprisingly early) or to the spectacular Wolf Creek in SW Georgia (according to their page on Facebook, they will open on Feb 8th this year).

Bring your raincoat, your snowshoes, and some sunscreen. The weather could be anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment