Sunday, November 5, 2023

November 2023 Moment in Nature

As we were working in the kitchen in the early evening this past week, a large bird flew past the window, swooping down towards the deck. It landed on the nearby devil's walking stick briefly and then flew up to a dead branch on a large pine overlooking the pool.


It turned out to be a barred owl and I quickly snapped a few photos through the window blinds. We've heard barred owls calling ("Who cooks for you?") in the woods every year that we've been here but have never seen one. This was certainly a very special #momentinnature for us.

After I downloaded the photos from the camera, I realized that it had caught a small bird. I don't currently have any bird seed out, but this is the area where I usually have a bird feeder. I hope that the owls help out with some of the chipmunks and the moles/voles that have been digging so many tunnels lately. It's good to have some local (and natural) pest control in our area.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Ellen! That's a beautiful photograph. It's about time one came into view for you and your family to see!

    ReplyDelete