Sunday, September 24, 2023

I See You, Ragweed

So many of our roadsides are infested with non-native plants, but I’m always scanning them to see if I can spot something “good” (my definition of good being a native plant!). This time of year, there will always be a sly little smile on my lips when I spot the native annual ragweed (Ambrosia artemisiifolia) growing.

Ambrosia artemisiifolia

Don’t be too alarmed that I’m spotting these plants in residential yards. Mostly I see them in areas of road construction (where the soil disturbance brought these plants to life) or along unmanaged rural roads. Only the weekend bicyclists are likely to be disturbed by windborne gusts of ragweed pollen in search of a place to land.

I do feel sorry for those of you who are allergic, but I am so glad to see a native plant that is productive to our environment. Ragweed seeds are high in fat and very beneficial to the small birds and critters that consume them. You can find ragweed seed for sale online to help establish this high quality native annual on your land (although you may already have it, especially if you have a large amount of land with wild areas).
Ambrosia artemisiifolia


For those of you who don't know, native goldenrod (Solidago spp.) is often considered to be a source of fall allergies but the pretty goldenrod is colorful for a reason: the bright flowers attract bees and other insects to carry the heavy pollen from plant to plant. Goldenrod pollen is not carried on the wind.

Goldenrod (Solidago altissima) is not the problem;
enjoy seeing it this year for the insects it supports!


No comments:

Post a Comment