Sunday, April 23, 2023

April 2023 Moment in Nature

 

I love to walk through the natural areas of my property in the spring to see what is sprouting (and to find non-native weeds that need pulling). It is naturally a slow walk as I focus on the ground. As I walked through one area this past week, I heard a low buzzing and spotted a large bee checking out the sloped sides of a drainage ditch, slowly going from one area to another. It was as large as a carpenter bee but it had a fuzzy butt instead of the ‘shiny hiney’ of a carpenter bee.


The bee was checking out crevices and leaf litter. I realized that it must be a queen bumble bee, looking for a cavity to start her new nest. I've never seen a queen before and was a little bit in awe. It is amazing to find new things in nature. She is #amomentinnature for my April.

I hope she found a good spot. A few days later, I saw another one near the creek. Bumble bees are an important part of pollination, especially during the summer, and I am happy to share my home with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment