Sunday, June 19, 2022

June 2022 Moment in Nature

 

I have not seen a lot of bugs this year, but there is one that is strangely in abundance: the ebony jewelwing, a type of large damselfly. I have so many this year that I was able to take some time and really look at them and even photograph them. While I was observing one, she came out towards me to inspect a bit of spiderweb hanging in the air to see if it contained a bug but I think it was just a bit of leaf. #amomentinnature

They are fairly skittish, often flying up from shady corners of the yard before I even have a chance to realize they are there. They usually just fly a short distance and then come back to near where they were. They hunt for mosquitoes and gnats and small insects.

Male jewelwing
Female jewelwing












This website is a great resource to learn more about them. Both males and females have an iridescent green body but the wings are slightly different. The wings on the female are a dark bronze and there is a small white spot at the top (on the forewing). The males overall seem a bit brighter, perhaps slightly more blue-green than green.

Similar to dragonflies, they lay their eggs in water, usually slow moving streams and I have one of those. If you spot one of these near you, be sure to take a moment to appreciate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment