Sunday, May 1, 2022

Two-flower Melicgrass

 

Things sometimes just appear in your garden. Did they come in on the wind? Perhaps they hitchhiked in via another plant? Two-flower melicgrass (Melica mutica) showed up several years ago. A tall, open grass, it was attractive and I let it be. I didn’t know the name of it at the time.

Each spikelet may contain 2 fertile florets

This year I noticed that it was in a few more of the beds, still light and airy. Through a friend I got it identified (yes, I reach out to people who I know are more knowledgeable just like many of my friends ask me for help). I have a number of other unknown grasses that pop up, some of them clearly annuals, others return each year. After I retire, I plan to research some of the others.

This two-flower melicgrass was just too interesting to wait any longer for an id.

Flower spikes are long

The leaves are quite plain and unremarkable


No comments:

Post a Comment