Sunday, January 16, 2022

January 2022 Moment in Nature

I started this #amomentinnature feature last January, inspired by a friend. I enjoyed doing it, making a special effort to notice and record special moments each month, so I'm going to continue it this year.

All purple Tipularia discolor

Several days ago I was scouting a property for a plant rescue and we spotted this clump of all purple cranefly orchid (Tipularia discolor). While having the upper leaf surface be purple is unusual, it is a known occurrence. This research paper considered whether the coloration was a sign of stress; the conclusion was it was probably not but rather just a genetic difference. Therefore, we can enjoy it for being a special find!

1 comment:

  1. I have never seen this leaf coloration before.
    I live in Athens, Georgia.

    ReplyDelete