Sunday, June 13, 2021

Another Snake Plant

Why do so many plants have ‘snake’ in the common name? When I recently discovered a new to me plant with snake in the name, I decided to see how many others I already have. [Of course this is a partial list of the many plants with snake as part of the common name.] Apparently some plants got the name because the plant was thought to have curative properties for snake bites. Unfortunately, that may not be true (but if it is, I am well stocked!).

Ageratina altissima, white snakeroot
Aristolochia serpentaria, Virginia snakeroot (now Endodeca serpentaria)
Botrychium virginianum, rattlesnake fern (now Botrypus virginianus)
Eryngium yuccifolium, rattlesnake master
Goodyera pubescens, rattlesnake plantain
Hieracium venosum, rattlesnake weed
Orbexilum pedunculatum, Sampson’s snakeroot
Prenanthes altissima, tall rattlesnakeroot (now Nabalus altissimus)
Sanicula canadensis, black snakeroot

Orbexilum pedunculatum

So, what was the new plant? It is Sampson’s snakeroot (Orbexilum pedunculatum). It is a member of the bean family, Fabaceae. We found it on a rescue site that we’ve had for a long time. I actually thought it was a type of milkwort (Polygala) which is not in the same family at all but the tiny flowers seemed similar (especially if you’re not wearing your glasses, which is true for me in the field!).

As this new plant started to bloom this spring, similar looking plants started appearing in plant identification groups on Facebook.  After it was suggested that they were Orbexilum pedunculatum, I examined mine again. Bingo! 


From the trifoliate leaves to the shaded hues on the inflorescence, it was a perfect match. I love learning about new plants even if they are snake plants!

Orbexilum pedunculatum
Orbexilum pedunculatum


2 comments:

  1. Lovely. I wish this were in the trade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found some on the side of a gravel road near me that will be graded, ditched, and paved soon. I read it is difficult to transplant as the root is thick without much branching and is easily broken. It was not easily dug in the gravel but I think I have been successful with a couple. I will see next year. I think it's the first time I've seen, or at least ID'ed, that plant.

    ReplyDelete