Sunday, November 22, 2020

In Memory of a Tree

The Zeta Storm came roaring through our area with 60-mph winds just before Halloween, downing trees all over the area. Our property suffered no damage but we lost power, internet, and landlines. As we got out over the next few days, I was dismayed to see so many oaks down.

A toppled large scarlet oak (Quercus coccinea) outside the neighborhood was a distressing discovery. I had admired it for all the years we’ve been here; it was always a gorgeous color in the fall and a big provider of acorn mast for the critters. This year’s acorns were scattered all over the road as well as still affixed to many of the upper branches. I gathered a big bagful.


The fallen tree in 2019
Acorns will carry the legacy












Not far from this one, two other scarlet oaks were down. One had just survived the construction of a new house and I celebrated last year that it would live to bring beauty for years to come. Another lay across the road, a fence and other trees that were smashed in the downing of it.


Fallen scarlet oak (Quercus coccinea)

Despite the sadness, I know that other plants will get a chance to thrive in the sunny void these trees left behind. Nature creates and nature destroys … and then creates again. I’ll take that bagful of acorns and help to create many more trees to honor the ones lost that day. Trees to remember a tree.

1 comment:

  1. What did the acorn say when he saw the mighty oak?
    Gee, I'm a tree!
    Sorry, I learned that when I was 9 years old and I know it's meant to sound like geometry...but math never meant that much to me but trees I have always loved.
    There is a huge scarlet oak on the walk to Panola Mountain at Panola Mountain State Park and it is magnificent! I can well understand your sadness but I am thankful you got acorns from it and will start more mighty oaks!

    ReplyDelete