Sunday, April 5, 2020

Froggy Out The Window

Hyla cinerea (back yard)

The green tree frog is our state amphibian in Georgia – Hyla cinerea. That doesn’t necessarily make it common so I was thrilled to find one in the backyard last fall. We do have gray tree frogs fairly regularly but not these green ones. I have seen 3 more this spring and two of them are hanging around this week. 

One is visible out my back window and the other is visible from the front window. It appears the one in the back has laid eggs in a deep saucer full of water that was nearby (thanks, rain). Since then she has been hunkered down in a pot, tucked under old leaves. I’ll be watching those eggs to see if anything develops.

I hope these are frog eggs!


The front frog stayed in a tall azalea for several days. I found another deep saucer and put some rain water in it and set it nearby. That evening, I found her hanging out in the water like it was a hot tub. I can’t tell if she laid any eggs so perhaps she didn’t.

Hyla cinerea - front yard

During this time of relative isolation, it sure is nice to have an extra bit of nature to share our digs. I like to think that not using pesticides plus our usage of native plants contributed to making them feel at home. I love our yard!

The eyelids of the frog reflecting the porch lights

Front yard frog takes a dip


1 comment: