Sunday, September 29, 2019

Yellow and Blue Rings True


Bidens/Conoclinium
Yellow and blue flower combinations are some of the most appealing and at no time is that more apparent in the native wildflower world than in late summer and early fall. I find myself compelled to take pictures when I find them together - if only to capture some of that magic for another day.

I’d like to share some of the combinations that I’ve found, over the years and including this week. In some cases the combination was artfully planned. In other cases the combination was serendipity or nature’s own masterful hand.

The photo to the left is a bit of both: this is the annual bearded beggarticks (Bidens aristosa) which I wrote about several weeks ago. I planted it here and the blue mistflower (Conoclinium coelestinum) was already there, but I didn't plan for this combination exactly (in my yard, I don't plan for much!).


Liatris pilosa/Solidago nemoralis
Lobelia puberula/Solidago altissima





















Consider yellows like the fall composites: sunflower relatives (Helianthus), goldenrods (Solidago), and the Rudbeckia species. Your palette of blues for the fall include blue colored Lobelia species, asters (Symphyotrichum and Eurybia), blue mistflower (Conoclinium coelestinum), and blazingstars (Liatris). 

Stone Mountain daisy (Helianthus porteri) with Conoclinium coelestinum

Georgia aster (Symphyotrichum georgianum) with Helianthus porteri

And if you want a real treat, throw in a red flower and you reach the pinnacle of color combos as far as I’m concerned: red, yellow and blue. Nature arranged for a spectacular one in my yard this year with red cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis), blue mistflower, and the annual bearded beggarticks (Bidens aristosa).

Bidens aristosa, Conoclinium coelestinum and Lobelia cardinalis

Now is a good time to take note of what fall flower combinations you would like to see next year. Replicate those as you decide what to add or rearrange for next year. When it comes to planning, there's no time like the present!

Blue mistflower (Conoclinium coelestinum) and orange coneflower
(Rudbeckia fulgida var. fulgida)


4 comments:

  1. What is the best way to propagate some of these plants? I have seen goldenrods and Liatris on my walks, but do not want to pick until I can figure out what to do with them! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For goldenrods and liatris (and other Asteraceae family members), the seeds are ready when the seedheads turn puffy like dandelions do (but not quite as flyaway). They do propagate well from seeds.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the advice, I will keep an eye on them!

      Delete