Sunday, April 22, 2018

Tallulah Gorge State Park

I have driven past Tallulah Gorge State Park many times on trips to the Great Smoky Mountains for family vacations and to the Cullowhee Native Plant Conference in the summers. Two weeks ago we had the opportunity to be in the area so we decided to finally visit the park.

Lowbush blueberry (Vaccinium pallidum)
I really didn’t know what to expect in terms of plants, but I had heard that there was an uncommon trillium here. We decided to visit the suspension bridge first so we headed to the North Rim Trail for overlook numbers 2 and 3 and the 310 steps that would lead to the bridge.

Along the way, we found lots of blooming lowbush blueberry (Vaccinium pallidum), and I had numerous opportunities to photograph these beautiful flowers throughout the park.

Once we hit the stairs, mountain laurel (Kalmia latifolia) was the attraction. The buds were some of the pinkest I’ve ever seen and several flowers were open (which seemed early to me as they usually bloom the first week of May at my place).



Mountain laurel (Kalmia latifolia)
Gaywings (Polygaloides paucifolia)





















In the sunny spots, serviceberry blooms were quite abundant. I believe this species is Amelanchier arborea. At the bridge we also saw blooming paw paw (Asimina triloba). We crossed the bridge (which moves gently with you) and found a new surprise – brightly colored gaywings (Polygaloides paucifolia, formerly Polygala paucifolia). It was so pretty that the phrase “This is too pretty to be native” crossed my mind – my apologies, little flower!

The suspension bridge (photo taken from when we were on the North Rim)

From there we took the additional 221 steps down to Hurricane Falls (yikes, that will be over 500 steps back up!). We passed a sign for a champion hemlock (Tsuga caroliniana), but it was hard to tell if it was still doing well. At the observation deck at the bottom, silverbell (Halesia tetraptera) was in bloom and saxifrage (Saxifraga) was growing in the rock cracks.

Silverbell (Halesia tetraptera)
Serviceberry (Amelanchier arborea)


















We successfully hiked back up and still had enough energy to backtrack along the North Rim Trail to Inspiration Point, passing the North Wallenda Tower along the way. Just past the interpretive center (which is very nice, by the way), we found a dry sunny area with huge clumps of blooming birdfoot violet (Viola pedata). Mountain laurel was blooming at the overlook there and we found a big common green darner dragonfly resting there.


Common green darner dragonfly
Birdfoot violet (Viola pedata)





















Near the fallen Wallenda Tower, I found a very large population of the gaywings again. We continued on to Inspiration Point, passing huge populations of the low blueberry again. I imagined that in good years there would bears roaming through, feasting on the fruits.  The trail offered dizzying views of the gorge along the way, and I can’t say that the last overlook at Inspiration Point was any better but you were right on the edge!

Edna's Trillium (Trillium persistens)

In all of our hiking we did actually find Edna’s Trillium (Trillium persistens), but I won’t mention where. I was amazed that I found it without actually looking.

Finding it and the gaywings – both new to me - made the trip extra special. I think there would be plenty more to explore for a second trip to the park one day.







4 comments:

  1. I’ll have to but this park on my bucket list for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun, 'Wish I was there with you' tour this is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. been there mutiple times. It is beautiful, but those steps are something else. :)

    ReplyDelete