Sunday, January 3, 2016

It's A New Year

Every new year seems full of new possibilities. Yes, I will exercise more; yes, I will eat less junk; and yes, I still need to drink more water! My goals seem so attainable in the first days of the new year. As the days pass, however, those goals seem a little more inconvenient and my resolve falls by the wayside. Of course, my lack of resolve only affects me so I’m the only loser.

Cloudless sulphur on host plant
What I do with my garden, however, affects more than just me. As part of a local ecosystem, my participation in the great outdoors has the ability to affect many more lives: insects, frogs, lizards, newts, turtles, birds … and others.

·         That caterpillar munching on a plant that I planted (or didn’t kill) is alive because I have host plants in my garden. I researched what plants should be here for native butterflies and moths.

·         That lizard eating bugs and strolling through the vegetation is alive because I didn’t use pesticides. Pesticides reduce the bug population (his food source) and poison the plants that rub against his skin.

·         That bird catching bugs and feeding them to her chicks is starting a family because insect food was abundant enough to support that family.



This is true at your place too. So when you make your garden resolutions (and it’s never too late to make one), think about how your actions can ripple out to so many other species on this little patch of land we call our own. And when it comes time to carry out your resolutions, remember how many critters are relying on you to keep your resolve.



Best wishes to you and yours (and by 'yours' I mean the bugs/birds/butterflies at your place) for a healthy and happy new year!

2 comments:

  1. All the wildlife needs you healthy too to continue your good work. Happy New Year Ellen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I emailed this piece to Ceree (upstairs) to remind her we haven't put into writing our objectives for this year's gardening and maintenance. And to you and 'yours' as well!

    ReplyDelete