Sunday, July 11, 2021

A Moment in Nature for July

It's so hard to believe we are into July already and the temperatures are hot enough to make me wish I did not get another mulch pile dumped on the driveway. However, my mulch pile brings me a lot happiness! My #momentinnature for June was thanks to my old pile and this month's moment is an Eastern eyed click beetle (Alaus oculatus) that was exploring the new one.

Eastern eyed click beetle

Click beetles are ones that can springboard themselves away from danger by flexing their body. This particular adult, perhaps a female, might have been investigating the pile as a place to lay eggs. The larvae of this beetle live in and around damp, rotting wood because that is where their prey live. They feed on the larvae of wood-boring beetles, so we might consider them to be a beneficial insect by helping to keep the population of those beetles in check. Apparently, the larvae of click beetles are called 'wireworms' and some are pests of crops because they eat roots; this species is carnivorous.

The adults eat small amounts of plant material, not enough to be considered a pest in any way. I only find about one of these a year at my place. Each time it is a special occasion and another reason to celebrate a garden full of life.


2 comments:

  1. We called them deathwatch beetles and I had a pet one when I was in nursing school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never seen this click beetle until last summer, when one flew slowly by me and landed on a rotting log. They are beautiful and fascinating! Thanks as always for your posts.

    ReplyDelete