Sunday, June 20, 2021

A Moment in Nature for June

Following on the post I shared for May, #amomentinnature for June is a small Dekay's brown snake that I uncovered in the mulch pile. I have had a pile of tree trimmings on the hot driveway for over a year and this week I decided to finish distributing it in advance of getting a new load. Small reptiles have enjoyed the pile, using the heat of it to warm up. Earlier I found what appear to be snake eggs in it.

Dekay's brown snake on oak sapling with grass

This small and relatively common snake was just under the top layer and she appeared to be pregnant. I used a stick to relocate her to the side of the driveway where she rested for a while in a small oak sapling.  I took some of the pile and created a small mound near her. Later I saw her moving through the upper layers and she looked thinner. 

Harmless Dekay's brown snake in mulch

I enjoy finding wildlife in my yard. We also found the first box turtles of the year this week. They were busy making more box turtles!


No comments:

Post a Comment