Sunday, May 16, 2021

A Moment in Nature for May

Following on the post I shared for April, #amomentinnature for May is a baby chickadee that got briefly stuck in our garage. I didn't realize that these babies don't fly yet. It was calling and calling for its parents. I was able to pick it up and carry it over to a small tree. Shortly thereafter, I was able to see its parents bringing food to it.

It likely was a baby from a nest in one of our boxes. I had seen the chickadees coming and going to the box. The garage is not too far from that box and I had left the door open after we got home from an errand. It must have fledged and hopped over that way.



These small interactions with nature help to remind me that my yard is meant to be a haven for wildlife. The insects that adult birds need to raise chicks is an important part of why I garden with native plants.

Here are some of my earlier posts on gardening for birds:






1 comment:

  1. I just did a post with a baby cardinal being fed by Mrs. C! (That is what we call the female mother!)
    And I found a nest in my yard last year, I put it on my porch and it stayed there all winter. This spring, I noticed that a bird had been pecking bits of it off...I left it on my porch...later that week, the entire nest was gone! I hope a bird was able to use it again. Is that possible? I sure hope so.

    ReplyDelete