Sunday, May 2, 2021

Fringetree: Native Vs. Not

Chionanthus virginicus
I always knew there was a non-native species of Chionanthus to compare to our native fringetree (Chionanthus virginicus). I always wondered if I would be able to distinguish one from the other should I encounter the non-native one, called Chinese fringetree (Chionanthus retusus). Recently I had a chance to see that one so I thought I would share photos of both here.

Chionanthus (pronounced ki-o-nan-thus) is a genus in the olive family (Oleaceae). In general it has leaves that are arranged in an opposite arrangement on the stem. Plants have flowers that are male or female so you need a female to get the olive-like dark blue fruits (and a male to help with pollination). 

Both species can appear as a very large shrub or small tree. The genus name is derived directly from Greek with chion meaning snow, and anthus meaning flower (strange how we are not calling it snowflower). They both have lightly fragrant flowers.

Since I knew nothing of the non-native one, I researched it a bit to understand the differences. The key differences are the shape of the leaves and the arrangement of the flowers. The specific epithet retusus refers to more blunt/rounded leaf tips (perhaps even with a small notch). I can’t say that is definitive as the leaves I saw were quite similar to the native one that I rescued. However, purchased Chionanthus virginicus plants tend to have a narrower, more pointed leaf (than the one I found), and I know that has confused some people in the past (wondering if they got the non-native but clearly a narrow, more pointed leaf form would be virginicus).

Chionanthus virginicus leaves and fruit

Chionanthus retusus leaves

The arrangement of the flowers, and any subsequent fruit (remember that fruit can only develop where flowers were present), is much a more distinctive difference. The flowers of Chinese fringetree (retusus) occur on the new season’s growth, primarily on the ends of the branches, while those of virginicus occur on the previous season’s wood, behind the new leaf growth. This tends to provide a showier flowering effect on retusus because the flowers are not obscured by the leaves. The panicles of flowers on retusus can be more upright as well. When fruit is present, it will be on the terminal ends for retusus.

C. retusus flowering on new wood
C. virginicus flowering on old wood












In addition, the color of the flowers on retusus is a brighter white compared to the creamy color of the virginicus, and it seemed to me that the petals were just a little bit wider on retusus. There is another native species, Chionanthus pygmaeus, dwarf fringetree; it is native to Florida and might be sold occasionally.

If you are in the right range and don’t grow our native fringetree (grancy graybeard for those of you who like that name), do give it a try. It is quite the lovely small tree.

Chionanthus virginicus in the wild


2 comments:

  1. Years ago I ordered a native and got the Asian one by mistake. IMO our native is much prettier--like a cloud when blooming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our fringe tree has more pointy leaves...got it!
    I noticed a lot more yards sporting the beautiful fringe tree this year. I always enjoy them at Arabia Mountain (in the wild) and the ones planted at the Monastery here in Rockdale County!

    ReplyDelete