Sunday, May 21, 2023

May 2023 Moment in Nature

I am so glad to have this as a monthly feature because I love sharing the #momentinnature that reveals itself every month. And I do mean reveal because they catch me by surprise - I don't plan them.

I came back this week after being gone for few days and was sorry to see that a silk moth cocoon that I had saved was newly vacant. I was hoping to see the giant moth emerge. I left it where I had it; several days later I noticed that the inside now sported a leafy green re-do! A leafcutter bee had chosen to make an egg chamber in the old cocoon. 













As I write this, it is still a work in progress. I believe she has laid one egg and provisioned it and added one partition. Above are two photos, one is my original view and the second is while she is working.

No comments:

Post a Comment