Sunday, September 18, 2022

Annuals Fill the Gaps

 

The abundance of plant life seems to be at its peak in late summer. My beds are full of foliage, and the stems spill out onto the path to the front door, no doubt vexing the folks who deliver packages. One such person told my husband that it looks ‘snaky,’ but I rarely see snakes in my yard.

Bidens aristosa in my yard

The roadsides are also lush with plants and I delight in trying to figure out what’s there as I drive by. In both cases – the roadside and my yard – much of the vegetation belongs to native annuals. In the case of roadsides, there is a lot of ragweed (Ambrosia artemisiifolia) and partridge pea (Chamaecrista fasciculata). In the case of my yard, it is partridge pea and tickseed (Bidens aristosa).

The phrase “nature abhors a vacuum” is perfectly appropriate here as bare ground sprouts whatever seeds it can. Annuals are often the first to take over, helping to prep the area for the grasses, perennials, and woody plants that follow the path of plant succession.

Partridge pea on roadside, mixed
with a little ragweed

Soon, these guys will be gone, leaving an abundance of seeds to carry on the role next year. I clip a lot of the seedheads and share them with friends (or throw them in ditches to get them started elsewhere!). The bees are happy to see these plants wherever they bloom.

Bidens aristosa in my yard with a happy bee


1 comment: