Sunday, August 21, 2022

August 2022 Moment in Nature

This month’s #amomentinnature was not captured in film and lives only as a beautiful memory. One of my favorite shrubs is my plumleaf native azalea (Rhododendron prunifolium) which blooms in late July and often into August. The shrub sits next to my front porch.

Rhododendron prunifolium

This week, as the last of the azalea’s blooms opened, I passed the window as a hummingbird checked each bright red flower for nectar. It was such a special moment to see her enjoy one of my favorites. I do have a sugar hummingbird feeder but seeing them use the native plants is so rewarding. 

Other plants that I’ve seen them use this year are jewelweed (Impatiens capensis), cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis), scarlet sage (Salvia coccinea), scarlet beebalm (Monarda didyma), and my dad’s favorite shrimp plant (a tropical non-native).

No comments:

Post a Comment