Sunday, March 14, 2021

A Moment in Nature for March

Following on the post I shared for February, #amomentinnature for March is my best patch of bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis) showing off at just the right time for me to actually get a good picture of it!

Bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis)


March is typically a very good month for spring ephemeral native wildflowers. In addition to the trout lily that I featured in February, I now have spring beauty (Claytonia virginica) blooming, sweet Betsy trillium (Trillium cuneatum), rue anemone (Thalictrum thalictroides) and false rue anemone (Enemion biternatum). 

There are plenty of good things yet to come so now is a good time to take a moment and appreciate the early ones. Don't have these early flowers in your yard? Take a hike! Here are several good ones in North Georgia; consider also visiting one of the locations of the Chattahoochee National Recreation Area (NRA). Find 17 maps for it here and pick a spot.

Cloudland Canyon State Park - my blog on a visit there
The Shirley Miller Wildflower Trail - my blog on a visit there


No comments:

Post a Comment