Sunday, March 22, 2020

Spring Has Sprung – Coronavirus Edition


As of March 19th it is officially spring in Georgia. It came just a smidge earlier this year. According to the Old Farmer’s Almanac, the last time spring arrived on March 19th was in 1896. Now I think it’s a bit of stretch to say it didn’t arrive on the more usual date (March 20th) since it arrived at 11:50 PM on the 19th, beating out the 20th by a whole 10 minutes but technically they are correct.

Of course, in Georgia, we’ve been enjoying flowers for some time, with non-native daffodils blooming back in January and small native spring ephemeral flowers right along with them (especially in south Georgia). The trout lilies, bloodroot, and spring beauties have slogged their way through some really wet days (over 23 inches this year, easily double our normal).

Trillium cuneatum, green color form

The mottled trilliums (Trillium cuneatum being the most common one near me) are emerging now. They occur naturally on my property and I’ve been trying to protect them from deer browse over the last few years (with sprays and small cages); now I’m seeing more than ever so I think the effort is worth it. Violets are starting to bloom and the golden yellow flowers of green-n-gold (Chrysogonum virginianum) are appearing too. The Chickasaw plum (Prunus angustifolia) has been gorgeous.

Bees do it! (on the plum)
Chrysogonum virginianum





















My blogs are most often about what’s happening this week so I am compelled to acknowledge we are in the beginning of an intense time because of the coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2 virus, COVID-19 disease) with widespread closures and recommendations to stay away from gatherings if possible. I’ve seen a lot of reminders that “Nature isn’t cancelled!” and it’s true. We can still responsibly enjoy being outside in nature (when it’s not raining).

Being home more can mean time to accomplish some tasks we’ve been putting off—from deep cleaning, to fix-it projects, to extra time in the garden. Guess which one I picked? One of the front beds has been crying out for a re-do for several years. I’m also doubling down on removing a pesky non-native annual/biennial that has been increasing these past few years: Youngia japonica, or false hawksbeard. It thrives in part-shade and is now found throughout my woods thanks to my lackadaisical approach to removing it. Thankfully it is easily pulled and I try to pull the ones about to bloom first. I should have it under control in about 20 years.

False hawkweed, Youngia japonica

If you have extra time, pulling invasive plants is a great project. Many folks in Atlanta have English ivy run amok. Put on some longsleeves and gloves (the sap can be irritating) and start pulling it up! Get the kids to help stuff it into bags and haul it to the street. You’ll have room for native plants (some might even emerge once the area has some breathing room), and I’ll bet money that you’ll see a reduction in mosquitoes come summer without having to pay for sprayed chemicals.


I encourage everyone who can to take advantage of the spring weather to get outside more--whether it’s in your own yard, helping someone else (from a safe distance away from each other!), or just walking in your neighborhood or in a local city/county/state park. Perhaps one of the outcomes of this event is a renewed appreciation for nature and some cleaned up invasive plants.



Flower fly on Hepatica acutiloba
Spring beauty (Claytonia virginica)


3 comments:

  1. We too have Youngia japonica running rampant. I'm not looking forward to summer when chamberbitter reappears. It's even worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been pulling out Youngia japonica for several years now. Not sure if I am making any progress as it continues to appear. Fortunately they are easy to hand pull. Love your spring ephemeral shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the id on false hankwort. I've been wondering what that is. I will keep pulling, especially now that I know it's non-native. Thanks also for the refresher on Claytonia and Chyrosogonum! -Hillary Thompson

    ReplyDelete