Sunday, January 5, 2020

Valley of the Giants


Eastern hemlock (Tsuga canadensis)
We have giants in Georgia? Apparently, we do! I know a lot of people bemoan that time-waster known as Facebook, but it can be used for good; that is how I find out about new (to me) plants, hear about new books and events, and even learn about places. In mid-December, a friend posted about visiting the Valley of the Giants near Suches, GA.

Looking at giant trees is a great winter activity and I was intrigued. In addition, I had some vacation days to spare and December was having some very pleasant weather days. My friend said the 1990 guide from The Georgia Conservancy had a good description of this old-growth forest area. I dug out my copy (with preface by Jimmy Carter!) and looked it up. The description tells of “widely spaced specimens of white and northern red oak and black birch, but the largest trees are giant tulip poplars ….”

My husband readily agreed to a Christmas Eve hike and away we went. I have been up that way many times for trips to Sosebee Cove and Woody Gap; this trip took us past Woody Gap (plenty of people were hiking that day) and along a stretch of Hwy 60 that I haven’t traveled, on past Stonepile Gap (which is being turned into a roundabout). We stopped to admire a wooden eagle and its faux nest, chatting with one of the locals who asked if we were ok.

I had to appreciate this!
Tiarella cordifolia with good color


The trailhead on an old Forest Service road was a little hard to find – we overshot it initially but managed to figure it out despite a lack of cell signal (frankly, it was my husband who saved the day).  The trail was thick with hardwood leaves, but a few bright leaves of foamflower (Tiarella cordifolia) peeked out. American beech (Fagus grandifolia) leaves waved in the breeze, still stuck to branches of saplings along a nearby creek, and large mountain laurel (Kalmia latifolia) added some green.

While there was plenty of Christmas fern (Polystichum acrostichoides) to be seen, I was thrilled to notice the less-common marginal fern (Dryopteris marginalis) as well. This evergreen wood-fern gets its name from the arrangement of the sori on the margins of the pinnae (flip the frond over to see). Understory plants also included silverbell (Halesia), serviceberry (Amelanchier), buckeye (Aesculus), smooth hydrangea (Hydrangea arborescens), and I spied the old bloom stalks of black cohosh (Actaea racemosa).

Marginal fern
Marginal fern sori























After walking a good bit, we finally entered the first area of large trees. The biggest ones were the tulip poplars (Liriodendron tulipifera) and several had damaged tops from storms.  The winter landscape was actually useful in being able to see just how big they were. There were also quite a few very large white pines (Pinus strobus) and Eastern hemlocks (Tsuga canadensis). The path was blocked at one point by a recently fallen hemlock, but we scrambled around it (at several earlier points we’d ducked under much older fallen trees – this was indeed a challenging trail).

Large white pine (Pinus strobus)
Large Liriodendron tulipifera























Interesting finds included an old bald hornet nest on the ground and old logs covered with fingers of moss. Some of the moss on logs was thick enough to grow foamflower (imagine a flowering foamflower on a log in spring!). Unfortunately, some of the smaller hemlocks along the path appeared to have woolly adelgid pests on them. All in all, it was a fun adventure and a beautiful day in nature.

Old hornet nest; they make a new one each year


4 comments:

  1. Oh, how exciting! And lucky you for the weather to be so mild!
    Thanks very much for this post! Wish I had been with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I are having a home built in Union County. The lot sits at an elevation of 1800 feet. At best, plants will get some full sun, but partial shade will be the rule. I am trying to learn about native plants, especially evergreens. I did read that Eastern Hemlock do grow here. I am from Ohio, have lived in Florida for the past 10 years. I guess I will be considered, what the locals call a “half-back.”
    I am familiar with the Canadian Hemlock, which my father has in his North Ohio home. A beautiful, lacy-looking evergreen when mature. If we purchase the Eastern Hemlock, what conditions will it need to thrive. Are they prone to pests? Also, my absolute FAVORITE flower are peonies. How will peonies do in N Georgia? I even want to name our cottage, “Peony Place.”
    I will be anxious for your advice. Our home should be complete in early to mid April. I thank you 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there - Eastern and Canadian hemlock are two common names for the same species, Tsuga canadensis. It likes moist, part-shade areas. They are prone to the woolly adelgid pest these days, but don't that that scare you off. Give it a try. I have no experience with peonies.

      Delete
    2. Eastern Hemlocks can be treated to prevent wooly adelgid, just treat them when you plant them in the ground. Treatment lasts 5 years, or you can just retreat if you see the small white egg sacks show up on a tree if that's easier. Save Georgia's Hemlocks has great info on growing hemlocks in Georgia. I use their directions to keep hemlocks in my own yard. https://www.savegeorgiashemlocks.org/

      Delete